01 April 2007

To Canada, with love

It's slightly delayed, but yesterday I finally managed to mail a couple things to my new niece, Aston, who, apparently, is already being indoctrinated with information on the latest technological gadgets and gizmos (see here for pics). Hopefully my "old school" gifts will catch Aston at an age where she can still appreciate them! :o)

I was originally looking for a stuffed porcine to commemorate the Year of the Hog but the selection at my local Toys R Us was sorely lacking. I went with the rabbit because Easter is approaching and you gotta love the floppy ears. I threw in the roundish furball because when I saw it I just had to buy it.

They're being shipped by USPS, definitely *not* by Fedex (Trouble with Fedex). I tend to feel a little stupid whenever I ship something at the USPS. It's trying to figure out what forms I should fill out before getting into the always long, slow line, and inevitably when my turn comes up discovering I filled out the wrong form(s).

Let's see, first I filled out the wrong customs declaration form. I just filled out the first one I saw but, stupid me, I should have looked for more because there are two. Which one you fill out depends on the weight of your package. Oops.

Second, since address labels are all "scanned" these days I needed to have "Canada" as the bottom line of the address, not "Canada + ZIPCODE" as I normally do. Oops.

Third, I normally put two address labels on boxes, so that from most angles at least one of them is visible. Mistake. I was told that if someone/a machine happens to see the address label with no postage on it... back to the sender it goes. Oops.

Oh well, at least the post office employees were polite and professional. I just hope I remember all this the next time I need to mail a package.

No comments: