03 April 2007

Blogshares and me-- part II


Continuation of Blogshares and Me, part I

And then something happened....

A player started "attacking" the portfolio of a member of the Robber Barons Corporation, of which I am a member. This eventually resulted in the planning (well, others did the planning--I was just prepared to follow orders) of a strategy to retaliate and dissuade further abuse. This was all taking place within the rules, of course. Blogshares is just a game, after all. Unfortunately, I missed all the action--hey, I'm not on the computer all the time!--but I was able to enjoy our justified retribution vicariously after the fact by reading automated “press releases”. Ultimately we emerged victorious and hostilities were ended.

But this shifted my focus towards a new direction: using my artefacts. Artefacts are useful tools that can have very significant, temporary effects on a blog's share price, among other things, and add a whole new level of strategy to the game. I find using artefacts much more gratifying than searching for blogs, so I began purchasing artefacts and using them to help fellow Robber Barons whenever the opportunity arose.

When I go searching for blogs/shares to purchase, I’m not so much looking to increase my net worth but to increase the value of my portfolio. The combined portfolios of a corporation’s membership contributes to the interest rate that corporation earns. Currently I look for high value blogs but I don’t manipulate share prices of blogs owned by other players before restructuring (the forced sale and purchase of shares at 3x the current price) and taking them over via a hostile takeover (forced sale and purchase of all a blog’s shares at 3x the current price)—both actions require the use of artefacts.

Another powerful use of an artefact is to significantly depress (Public Relations Disaster) the share price of a blog. However, as I said, I have no inclination or desire to PRD blogs willy nilly for no other reason besides increasing my net worth and annoying other players.

I was happily increasing the number of my ::cough:: cheap ::cough:: artefacts when our corporation was once again forced to act in retaliation against another player, and this time I was able to participate….

No comments: