18 August 2006

Police at work

Wow, for the past 45 minutes or so, maybe even longer, there's been a strange, loud noise outside my place--the noise fades in and out but is never totally gone--and actually it's still going on as I type this. I finally grabbed my mobile, a flashlight, and went outside to try to find the source (after first checking to make sure the R was okay, lol).

A low-flying helicoptor with red lights flew directly over me. I didn't think it sounded like a helicopter at first because the sound of the blades is accompanied by a high pitched airy whine.

Anywhoo, my first thought was that it was probably a police helicopter searching for someone and hmmmm... maybe... yeah, maybe I better go right back inside and lock my door. Which I did, after stopping to check my mail. Go figure. :o)

I phoned the police non-emergency number and was informed the police were searching for a hit-and-run driver.

I think this was the first time I've ever called the police, and I have to say I was impressed by how quickly they answered my question. It was obvious the person I spoke to didn't know initially what I was talking about, but within a few seconds she did. Oddly enough, I found it kind of comforting.

1 comment:

Stargazer (original profile) said...

I wonder how many people called "911" to ask what was going on? The person on the non-emergency line was probably appreciative that you used that number.

A couple of weeks ago we saw a kid tagging a hydro box and we called the non-emergency line. They told us they couldn't send anyone right away because there was a "major incident" happening at the time. I found out later from the papers that it was a suspected armed hostage at a house (that turned out to be empty).

Just yesterday afternoon though, some guy told these teens on Glen Road to stop vandalizing an apartment building and they attacked him and someone who went to help him with a baseball bat. Today the mayor of Coquitlam said she felt quite safe walking on the streets.