13 June 2007

Google Desktop

One of the programs that came pre-installed with my new computer was Google Desktop. At first I wasn't quite sure what it exactly did, but I didn't uninstall it immediately because Geek Squad had said they would remove all the 'junk' software before I picked my computer up; I assumed Google Desktop might be something useful or something I'd want to keep, and delayed exploring it further

For the past week or two, however, I've noticed that Google Desktop regularly requests access to the internet. I finally looked it up and discovered that it's basically a way for Google to run a search of my hard-drive like I would search the internet. Ugh. Even before this, my feelings towards Google have begun to reach parity with my feelings towards Microsoft. The entire notion of Google (or any hacker taking advantage of Google Desktop) indexing my hard-disk worried me silly.

At least Google Desktop was easy to uninstall; although, after my frustration with trying to uninstall Norton Security software I'm never sure how successful any uninstallation actually is.

Anywhoo, I guess Geek Squad doesn't consider Google Desktop "junk" software, but I do. Well, maybe not junk, but certainly something I don't want on my computer--for security reasons alone, not even considering privacy issues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you have experienced, to remove Norton can be a problem. Here are some "do it yourself" free methods and a commercial product my company sells if the free does not.

Either way, a lot less money our of your pocket than hiring the job done.

FREE: sometimes the uninstallers from Norton work, but more often than not, they don't. Trying them won't hurt anything, as you probably already have a mess on your hands.

Suggestion: search "uninstall" or "remove" + your specific Norton product to find the specific manufacturer's removal tool that may work for you.

Windows>Control>Add/Remove will often do the trick with Vista. (If not, our product has utilities in it that you most likely will need to make the windows norton uninstall successful).

With 95, 98, 2003, XP, etc., both the Norton / Symantec uninstallers usually leave a lot of directory files and registry entries behind. (Up to 1,800+ with Norton Internet Security) This is what can keep you from being able to install the Norton Updates or other security software on your computer.

If the above methods do not work for you, you can try our software risk free at www.uninstall-norton.com. About 80% of the time, our "shortcut method" of using Uninstall Norto works. Of the remaining 20% of the cases, the situations are more complex and require our expanded method.

We estimate our software is successiful a total of 98% of the time.

r32argent said...

Thanks for the tips but I did manage to completely uninstall Norton. But if I'd found your website earlier I probably would have saved myself the headache.