01 June 2007

Computerless

Disaster. Last night upon boot-up my computer informed me that it could "not detect primary hard-drive". Ugh. I dropped off my CPU at Geek Squad for a diagnostic ($60) which will take 6 days!?

I'd been debating about whether it was time to buy a new computer--I'd bought the current one over 4 years ago--and this may force my decision. Why spend money for repairs if I could use that towards a new computer? Should I bother waiting for the diagnostic results before buying a new computer? Can I survive a week without one? Should I bother with attempting data recovery (min. $100)? I last backed up my files about two weeks ago, so it wouldn't be a total loss.

How do I make sure my hard-drive is completely erased? I wouldn't want any identity thieves rooting through garbage and taking it.

Ugh double ugh and triple ugh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Too bad. I have been thinking of Apple for my next computer???.