09 October 2006

My mild mortification (aka dead battery update)

Hmmm, see something out of place in this picture?


I took the above picture after having had to replace my R's battery due to a dead fuel cell (you can read in detail about my lost day here) back in mid-August. At the time I'd noted that my battery cover no longer sat correctly despite it being a VW OEM replacement, but after an already frustrating day I left it at that.

If you need a clue, it's in the top right corner of the picture. See it, yet? :o) I can't believe I missed it. It's had to have been sitting above the CAI since mid-August. I only discovered it yesterday, and it's not like I haven't popped the hood--several times--since replacing the battery to check on various fluid levels. Talk about embarrassing! I'd say I need new glasses, but I recently bought a new pair so that's not a viable excuse. Wangos!

Here's a full picture of what I was blind to:



Here's a picture of it installed...



... and with the battery cover properly in place:



Ugh. Anywhoo, more pics and information here. I thought Pepboys (Booooo!) could handle something as simple as replacing a battery, but they certainly proved me wrong. I should have suspected something when Pepboys informed me there was no alternative to getting a VW OEM battery for the R.

5 comments:

Stargazer (original profile) said...

I can't see where it is in the first picture, but it's a good thing it didn't fall on the ground somewhere. BTW, what's that box with the wires that sits on top of the battery?

r32argent said...

In the first picture, it's partially visible to the right of the EIP sticker on the intake, and above the AEM bypass valve on the intake. That box flips open to expose the cable connections and some fuses.

r32argent said...

Forgot to add, if you haven't seen one before, that the AEM valve is the foam thingy on the intake.

Stargazer (original profile) said...

I think I see it. Is it that black thing that's clean in the first picture ;0) ?

r32argent said...

Yup, you can see up to about half of the central hole in the 1st pic.