30 October 2008

Credit Card Theft

On my monthly credit card bill I occasionally see a vendor whose name does not quite match the name of the store I patronized. It's not unusual for a purchase to be charged to a parent company, and these instances are easily verified.

Recently however, I noticed a puzzling $0.10 charge from CENTR LIMITED 888-560-6635 TX. First, I don't remember ever making a $0.10 purchase using a credit card. Second, I have never had the opportunity to visit Texas nor have I -- as far as I know -- had any business with an online company based in Texas. Huh.

I can only assume that some criminal accessed my credit card information from one of my online transactions and the $0.10 charge was a test to see if I was someone who paid a modicum of attention to their monthly bill.

Moral of the story? Check your bills regularly, and question every charge you don't remember.

I googled the above phone number and apparently I'm very much far from the only victim of these criminals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you phone your credit card company for this unauthorized charge? DL

r32argent said...

Yes, I already did. They're sending me a new card with a new account number.