03 July 2008

Vending Machines: A Buck Too Far

For a while I've been satisfying my snack cravings by making use of vending machines at work. Prices for items I'm normally interested in ranged from $0.60 to $0.90. This week, however, all the prices suddenly jumped -- as a consequence of higher gasoline prices, I wonder -- to the cheapest item being $1, and the most expensive equalling $1.25. My response was to immediately stop using the vending machines.

Initially I wondered how long my personal vending boycott would last, as $0.40 isn't going to put me out in the street. To my mild surprise, after several days I don't think boycotting my workplace vending machines is going to bother me at all. When I asked myself why, I came to the conclusion that $1 marks a sort of mental demarcation. Anything below $1 is inexpensive, but $1 and above is not worth the expense.

I wonder how many people might feel the same way I do. I'm curious as to whether there will be less people using the vending machines, or using them less often. I'll have to make a mental note to check how quickly the vending machines empty.

No comments: