14 July 2008

The Second Time, for the Twentieth Time

For the past half year or so, I've been getting automated telephone calls informing me -- as if I didn't know -- that my Volkswagen warranty period has expired. Now, I can't get any more specific than "Volkswagen" because the first call happened before 4-years of my R. I'm guessing they were initially referring to my VW 1.8T GTI -- which I traded in 4 plus years ago. A result of some record snafu, perhaps.

To paraphrase, each auto-call starts with, "This is the 2nd call notifying you that the warranty on your vehicle has expired...", which is about the point where I hang up. This is probably a 3rd party trying to get me to purchase extended coverage for my car. That would be fine, after the second time. But no. They keep calling, over and over, like the cat that came back. Each time for the "second" time. Are they too cheap to record a voice saying, "third" or "fourth" all the way up to "twentieth"? Perhaps they could keep things simple and just substitute "umpteenth" for "second". Do they think I'm so forgetful that I won't remember this is far from the first time they've called? How many vehicles do they think I have?

The recorded voice alternates between a male and female. Could the male be for my ex-GTI, the female for my R, or vice versa? The calls did seemt to increase in frequency once my R's warranty expired.

I once even listened to the entire message and when prompted promptly and firmly pressed "2" in order to reject their offer. One guess as to whether or not they stopped calling.

Call-blocking doesn't work, either, since their Caller ID changes each time.

The auto-calls were first considerate, then humourous followed by irritating and quickly to annoying. Now it's reached the point where, irrational as it may be, my ire is spilling over to Volkswagen itself. Volkswagen is probably innocent of this matter, though in the darkest of nights I wonder if VW of America sells and/or shares warranty information to subsidiaries and independents. Perhaps I'm not irrational, after all.

Anywhoo, irrational or not, I just want them to STOP.

No comments: