21 June 2008

Get Smart

I think I'm officially done with my personal ban on seeing a movie on its opening weekend. Today, and the past couple features, I went to the earliest matinee and there were tops 30 people. Joy.

Anywhoo, this morning I saw Get Smart, starring Steve Carell and Ann Hathway, who both had wonderful performances. I enjoyed watching the original television series, Get Smart, starring the late Don Adams and Barbara Feldon, so while I was looking forward to seeing this movie I still had low expectations.

Why, low? I was uncertain of how the television series would translate to film, and prior to this movie I had never watched either Carell or Hathaway in a feature film. Sure, I'd seen bits and clips, heard reviews and such, and as such I wasn't sure I'd like them. Well, my concerns were groundless. Get Smart is a great movie that I recommend to everyone.

I don't remember ever laughing so hard at a movie, ever. Now, it wasn't a non-stop laugh riot, but there was one scene where I was busting a gut, and there were numerous others that had me laughing, too. I thought the action sequences were fine. Don't expect anything deep plot-wise or character-wise. Get Smart is a funny, light summer movie well worth my money.

Minor spoilers may follow:

The movie made appropriate homage to the television series -- it included exactly what I'd expected to see: the shoe phone, cone of silence, a turn of phrase ("Oh, Max") and more. Carell's version of Agent 86 Maxwell Smart is an updated and altered version of Adams'. Carell's 86 is a new, but mostly competent agent put in funny situations, rather than an inept, incredibly lucky one -- which is how I remember the television series. Carell does a wonderful job, as does Hathaway as the straight-man (straight-woman?) in Agent 99.

Part of why I enjoyed this movie is the on-screen chemistry between Carell and Hathaway. I'm not talking romantically -- though there's a pinch of that, too -- but that they played well off one another on screen.

On the minus ledger? There was one brief bit that fell flat. I think it was supposed to be funny but I'm not completely certain. Hey, I enjoy a good Bush-Cheney joke as much as the next Democrat, but if this was one it flew miles above my head. Whooooosh....

As an aside, I was also reminded that some people see a movie simply because of a particular actor or actress, rather than the movie per se. During the credits, there was a dedication to the late Don Adams and I heard the couple seated behind me wondering who he was.

Speaking of credits, there's nothing special at the end of the roll, so if you're not inclined it's safe to skip it.

Just how good is this movie? It's so good that I hope they produce a sequel -- I'd definitely pay to see that.


This movie missed a perfect rating, "by this much". :o)

Get Smart gets 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: