21 January 2008

Going Wireless - Part I

Ugh. Earlier today I decided to try setting up a wireless router, with no success. My brother helped set one up before, but I decided to disconnect it afterwards because it was slower than having a direction connection between my computer and cable modem.

This time I had two network cables, so I connected my modem to the router, and the router to my computer. Unfortunately, although all the router indicator links were blinking like they should I couldn't get connected. Wangos. So after struggling with various settings I disconnected the router and set things up the way the were before the router - but I still couldn't connect to the internet. Wangos x2.

Eventually I tried restoring to an earlier system restore point, but that didn't work, either. To make matters worse, I couldn't type in my Vista login password because my keyboard (USB connection) wasn't recognized anymore. I'm only guessing, but I think it might be due to the fact that all my system restore points happened to be before I'd purchased that keyboard - my original keyboard (which I've long tossed out) had a PS2 connection.

Anywhoo, I rushed out to buy a new keyboard with a PS2 connection. But that didn't work, either. Wangos x3. Luckily, during my next restart I pressed F1 during bootup to see if I could deactivate my Vista password (I couldn't); however, when I continued the bootup my computer now recognized my keyboard and I could log in to my computer. Whew!

After that it was only a short while before I was able to get my internet going again. The most frustrating thing about all of this (besides the fact that I still don't have wireless set up) is that I don't think it's supposed to be this difficult to install a wireless router. Am I missing something obvious? What am I doing wrong? What settings should I be looking at? Why is this so difficult? And the biggest question of them all: Why me?

No comments: