09 January 2008

2007 Dodge Caliber

Earlier this week I had to drive a rental for a few days while my R was being repaired (due to vandalism). The rental was a red 2007(?) Dodge Caliber. The Caliber is a 4-cylinder ("That drives like a six!", so said the rental agent) FWD, 5-door hatchback. I didn't care very much about what car they gave me as long as it didn't guzzle gas.

I consider the Caliber to be a normal-sized car; it's not on stilts or overly long. When I actually sat and drove it, however, it felt like I was sitting in a high-chair. The relatively high seat position contributed to making me feel as if I was driving a barge, and accordingly I found myself consistently overestimating how much space the Caliber needed (eg. while backing up). The Caliber's acceleration lag was worrisome, with soft brakes to boot. During the commute home I initially thought everyone around me was blinding me with their lights - until I realized the Caliber wasn't tinted like my R, and didn't have blue-tinted mirrors to reduce glare. Previously diabolical teeth-jarring speed-bumps were no long quite so diabolical or teeth-jarring.

I guess it's unfair to compare the Caliber to my R - the R32 is a performance vehicle while the Caliber is not. Still, there you have it.

No comments: