15 August 2008

Vista Update Error Code 80080005

More Windows Vista issues. :o( For the past month or so I've been unable to use Microsoft update, either automatically or manually. I always get an "Unable to search for updates, error code 80080005". My last successful update was back in July.

Until now I've been procrastinating about fixing this but as this month's patch Tuesday passed I decided to do something about it. I did some research and discovered there's no information on update error 80080005 at Microsoft Support but there's information on the web. Go figure. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there' s no clear fix. Oh yeah, and my anti-virus and anti-malware scans came up clean.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've also noticed that with every single restart, during bootup I get the message "Installing Windows Updates (part 3 of 3)... x% complete". Ugh.

So... I had to use a chainsaw to slice a cake. After I backed up my computer I did a clean install of Windows Vista.
  1. Back up computer.
  2. Restart with Vista installation DVD and perform a clean install.
  3. Updated Vista via Microsoft Update until I had all the latest patches.
  4. Install my anti-virus program.
  5. Install ZoneAlarm firewall and turn off Windows firewall.

Random comments:
  • I haven't re-installed Webroot Spy Sweeper, yet -- it's just so beepin' slow during updates. As I posted before, Spy Sweeper is a MASSIVE resource hog while updating. If only they let you schedule time of day for updates. Ugh. Anywhoo, for now I'm relying on Windows Defender.
  • Previously I hadn't been able to update to Vista Service Pack 1. I assumed it was because one of my drivers wasn't compatible, but after I re-installed Vista I was able to update to sp1. ::sigh::
  • It took about 40-50 minutes for the initial install, then an additional 3 hours or so for all the updates.
  • I've only installed the progams I use often. For the rest I guess I'll install them as I need them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had similar problems with trying to install Vista updates. I started Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals )and noticed that a "Service Host" was eating about 25% of cpu so I killed the process and suddenly the downloads started working. It appears that Vista has a problem with event reporting so I killed event monitoring and uploads are doing fine.

r32argent said...

That sounds a lot less time consuming than my method! :o)

I'll have to remember that if it ever happens again.

Anonymous said...

Open Internet Explorer > Tools >Internet Options > Security > Click 'trusted sites' icon >Click Sites > uncheck 'require server verification'.
Then add following sites :
http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://*.windowsupdate.com
http://update.microsoft.com
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx

Click Close > Apply > OK. This is known to help the GenuineValidated Windows, in some cases, but not always.
Do also ensure that you have the latest Windows Update Agent installed.
Try to re-register the following dll's individually. See How to Register / Unregister dll's if you are not sure how to do it.
wuapi.dll
wuaueng.dll
wups.dll
wups2.dll
wuwebv.dll
wucltux.dll
wudriver.dll
Alternatively, open Notepad. Copy-Paste the following command lines into it and save the file using a .bat or .cmd extension.
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuwebv.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltux.dll
regsvr32 /s wudriver.dll
Double-click the icon of the .bat or .cmd file; command window will open. Run the commands, and then close. Reboot, and see if Windows Updates is working OK.
Also Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security Settings > Ensure that the two boxes "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3" are checked.

Hopefully, this should help !

Else, note your error code and visit this excellent Microsoft Resource : Windows Update Support: Error Codes. Search for the solution against your error Code. If you receive Windows Update error 80246008 while downloading updates, you might need to change the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) or Windows Event Log service settings, and then restart each service. Click here for more on it.


Here are some useful KB Articles from Microsoft relating to Windows Updates::
KB943144 - Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation

KB910337 : You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site

KB836941 : You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site


If you are recovering from a malware attack, you may also want to have a look at your Hosts file. Some malware programs may modify the hosts file to control DNS name resolution. Remove ALL entries for Windows Update and Microsoft Update from your Hosts file situated at C\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can either remove any lines that contain entries for Windows Update or for Microsoft Update OR you can just place the number sign # before or in front of any line that contains "microsoft" and "update". HostsMan is a good freeware utility to help you manage your hosts file.

Update July 2008 : The following script, based on this BlogsTechNet post, will re-register all the windows update dlls and recreate the software distribution & catroot folder. Download this Repair WU.rar file, it contains a bat file. Run it. You may wish to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I had the same issue - receiving error 80080005 when trying to update windows. I followed Microsoft tech support instructions by doing a parallel install...this did the trick!

Here are the instructions I followed:
A Parallel Install is a new installation for Windows Vista, which is similar to a Clean Install. However, when performing a Parallel Install, the current system will not be affected. To perform a Parallel Installation of Windows Vista, we just need to select another disk drive or partition when performing the installation. This will install a new system and we can then recover all personal data after performing the installation.
=========================
1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer. In order to start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD I pressed F2 when the computer started loading.
2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.
3. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to type in the product key and accept the Licensing Agreement.
4. Click Next and choose the Custom (Advanced) option.
5. Select another disk drive and click Next.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.