19 August 2007

Irony

The other day I stopped by my local Volkswagen dealership to pick up some wiper blades before taking a personal look at the new 2008 MkV Golf R32.

On the way from parts/service to the sales area I had seen a worker with a huge grin taking a grey MkV R32 on a short roaring circle within the lot, starting and stopping in the service bay. I didn't think too much of it at the time but it turns out that R32 was the only one they had, and the salesman said it was still being prepped so no test drive.... Hmm, so was that part of the PDI?

Anywhoo, the salesman was kind enough to let me sit in it and take a close look. It looked nice, but I think there's a greater difference or "wow" factor between the MkIV GTI and the MkIV R32 than there is between the MkV GTI and the MkV R32. The front seat was comfy but it lacked the support I've grown accustomed to--it had side bolsters, but nothing like how mine are. The steering wheel was numbered, 3xx of 5000, which I still wish VW had done with the 2004 R32. Oh well.

Where does the irony come in? Well, after the salesman asked me what I drove, he proceeded to comment on how nice the 2004 R32 is and how the 2008 R32 looks like the GTI, and in return I found myself making comments about how nice the 2008 was. It was odd. I also had the impression that he had given up on trying to sell me a car. I don't know exactly what gave me away, but it's an interesting coincidence that his decision coincided with learning I had the MkIV. On the other hand, maybe it was an attempt at reverse psychology.




No comments: