03 May 2007

Ain't karma grand?

This evening during the commute home I had to slam on my brakes when a black Lexus in the right lane jerked his wheel to the left, cutting me off. It was rush hour and practically bumper to bumper traffic. To make matters worse, I hadn't the slightest inkling he wanted to change lanes since the Lexus failed to use his turn signal, which being a pet peeve of mine only served to aggravate me even more.

Luckily, I didn't stay annoyed very long. As I glared at the offending Lexus now directly in front, a car in the right lane turned on his left signal. The Lexus immediately accelerated to block the lane change--unsuccessfully. :o) The Lexus had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the other car's driver door.

I don't condone aggressive driving behavior, for whatever reason. I admit I think about it occasionally, imagining how satisfying it might be to respond in kind to stupid driving--but acting out while operating a 3-ton machine is not the safest way to pass the time. Right of way is not something you take; it's something you give. Ideally, anyway.

Nonetheless, I couldn't help but smile at what happened to the Lexus. Poetic justice. I hope he recognized the irony and modifies his driving habits.

What goes around, comes around. :o)

No comments: