31 March 2007

Tennis etiquette

Earlier today I was watching parts of the women's final at the Sony Ericsson Open where Serena Williams defeated current world number one Justine Henin (0-6, 7-5, 6-3). I was struck once again by the large number of spectators cheering whenever a player faults and even more so when double-faulting. I feel that cheering, clapping, what have you, for a double-fault is just, I don't know... a trifle rude. Perhaps "unsportsmanlike" would be a better description for how I feel. It's not very nice.

I seem to recall a time when the people applauding after a double-fault were strictly in the minority, but recently that doesn't sound to be the case. Maybe sound/microphone technology has improved a lot, just making the cheering more noticeable to television viewers? Maybe it's also dependent on the locales of the event? I don't know.

I think I mentioned this before, but another thing that annoys me are people who insist on screaming, yelling, cheering et cetera in the middle of someone's serve.

Oh yeah, there has got to be a way--and if not someone should definitely invent one--to have the microphone pick-ups muffle/deaden the players' shrieking. I guess I'm of the mind that players can grunt/shriek/yell if they want to. It's not like I'm a paying spectator trapped in the stands; if the shrieking gets too annoying I can always change the channel. But still, I'd rather watch tennis.

No comments: