13 February 2006

A first time for everything

Well, after work today I discovered my right front tire was flat :o( So for the first time in my driving career I changed a tire. Everything is suddenly so clear--so that's what a wheel lock looks like!

Anywhoo, I ended up having to change tires twice: first I put the spare on the right rear, and moved the right rear to the right front. I had to go through this musical chair dealy because the spare won't fit over the front brakes.

FYI, the R32 didn't come with a spare; it came with some fix-a-flat stuff. I ended up buying an aftermarket spare--but for it to fit into the spare wheel well, the spare won't fit over the front brakes.

Here is what VW gave me:

Here is what I replaced it with:

If you're interested, you can get more information on the R32 spare tire conversion here.

Since this same tire had a flat previously, I'm wondering whether the original repair didn't hold up in this recent cold weather. When I dropped off the flat tonight, though, they said their repairs use both a patch and a plug, so it's unlikely. Anywhoo, he said he'd check it out to make sure.

One other thing I noticed: the jack VW gave me is pretty wimpy. I should really get something better.

2 comments:

Stargazer (original profile) said...

So did you have to change it in the snow?

r32argent said...

Nope. Luckily, at work I park in covered parking. If it was in the snow I probably would have phoned for a flat-bed.