24 January 2008

Going Wireless - Part II

Well that was simple enough. After all my previous travails trying to setup a wireless network (Going Wireless - Part I) the solution turned out to be quite simple. I lost my internet connection when I connected my router so when I looked at the next installation step and saw "open browser and type http://xxx.xxx.x.x" I couldn't understand how to do that - how can I open a webpage without an internet connection?

Oops. Turns out that while you do use a browser and you do type in a 'typical' url you're not in fact opening a webpage, instead you're accessing the router directly. Once I'd realized my erroneous assumption setting up my router went smoothly; as a test I was able to sync my Zune 80 wirelessly.

Nevertheless, this still doesn't explain why my mouse and keyboard were being disabled during my earlier attempts. Strange.

No comments: