30 April 2007

Eastern Conference- Devils 0, Senators 2

Tonight the Ottawa Senators took a 2-1 series lead in their Eastern Conference Semifinals by defeating the New Jersey Devils 2-0. The Senators are the other team I'm rooting for to win the Stanley Cup.

In this game there was a lot of up and down action, so it was pretty exciting to watch. The game was scoreless until the third period, when the Senators finally got one past Martin Brodeur. Although I definitely want the Senators to make short work of the Devils in this series, I still wish they could have scored in a different way--a passing Ottawa player nudged Brodeur's right skate, putting Brodeur off balance just as he was trying to get in position to face the shot. I think the referees could have called goalie interference, but I'm assuming they simply didn't see it, because otherwise it was pretty obvious to me.

Normally, I'd have just shrugged and said, "them's the breaks". Calls get missed, the puck takes a weird bounce, whatever, it's all part of the game. I'm of mixed feelings this time because I admire Brodeur and what he's accomplished in his career, and in this game he played great. That was the only shot that made it past Brodeur--the 2nd Ottawa goal was an empty netter. Oh well.

Congratulations, Ottawa. On to game 4 on Wednesday.

No comments: