11 April 2007

Annoying comments by commentators

I just have to vent about some commentators on Versus, which deserves much kudos for broadcasting the Stanley Cup playoffs by the way, but I hope they'll clean up their use of the English language.

First, during tonights Ottawa-Pittsburgh game (Ottawa wins 6-3!) I noticed the commentators/announcers like shortening names. For example, "Sens" instead of "Senators". I'm not sure why they do that, maybe it's a stupid attempt at being "hip"? Maybe the extra syllables are two much of an effort to enunciate? Who knows. I just think it's annoying.

The "Sens" was annoying, but not the worst. The host guy on Versus's Hockey Central, when segueing to the Vancouver-Dallas game, referred to the Vancouver Canucks as "Van". Dallas at Van. That's right, "Van".

I still can't get over it. "Van"?!?!?!?! Personally, I think it's not only rude, but insulting. I might be mollified if he was an equal opportunity idiot, but no. "Dallas" remained "Dallas". I hope he doesn't make it a habit.

No comments: