11 October 2007

Right brain versus left brain

I followed an interesting link to the Herald Sun….

The Right brain versus Left brain test: do you see the spinning lady turning clockwise or counter-clockwise?


“If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.”

The very first time I looked I saw the dancer turning counter-clockwise, so I guess I mostly use the left side of my brain, which didn’t surprise me. I was able to get the dancer to turn the other way fairly easily, though haphazardly, by looking away, visualizing which way I wanted it to turn, and then looking back. I say haphazardly because this method only worked for me about 50% of the time. I could probably improve that if I worked at it.

Now when I look at the spinning lady without visualizing I have no idea whether it will be turning clockwise or counter-clockwise. Weird.

Anywhoo, here are some attributes associated with the left and right brain:

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy and religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Take this for what it's worth. :o)

2 comments:

Stargazer (original profile) said...

Quite interesting.

I thought it was spinning clockwise at first, but was surprised to read that "most of us" would see it counter-clockwise.

When I looked at it, I couldn't imagine how it could be spinning counter-clockwise. Then while I was focusing on the lower foot, it switched! Now when I focus enough, I can get it to switch back and forth.

Teresa was the same as me. Sydney saw it spinning clockwise, too, but she's able to switch it back and forth almost at will.

r32argent said...

Yeah, it feels weird whenever I see it switch directions. Spooky!