04 September 2007

US Open quarterfinals

Congratulations to Justine Henin, who defeated Serena Williams in the US Open quarterfinals (7-6, 6-1). Henin played well, but my impression is that her 1st serve percentage could have been better. Hopefully that will improve in the semifinals where Henin will probably be up against Venus Williams who also has been playing well.

I've been rooting for Henin to win the year's last major, though it will be tough going to get through the the semi-finals (go Jankovic!). On the men's side, I've been rooting for someone, anyone, to take out Roger Federer. Wishful thinking? Probably, but hope springs eternal. :o) If I had to choose who had the best chance against Federer in this tournament, I'd actually pick Novak Djokovik over Rafael Nadal.

Hmm, I should say that it's not that I dislike Federer, but I just think he needs more competition, and being a fan of Pete Sampras anything that delays Federer breaking Sampras' majors record is all good. :p

No comments: