20 September 2007

$1 Cdn = $1 US

For the first time since 1976 the Canadian dollar equaled, albeit briefly, the U.S. dollar:

"The loonie briefly reached $1.0003 US on foreign exchange markets shortly before 11 a.m. ET, the Bank of Canada said. The loonie's stint at parity was brief, however, as it later slipped back to just under $1 US....

"We've come a long way. It wasn't that long ago that the Canadian dollar was trading around 60 cents and people were thinking the end was near," said Steve Butler, director of foreign exchange at Scotia Capital. "And now, seeing it close to parity with this much strength and this much momentum, I don't think parity is going to be the number that stops it,""--cbc.ca
I think the loonie was 62 cents only five years ago. I guess now would be the time for Canadians to head south and purchase some luxury vehicles. :o)

Of course, since I'm living in the U.S. this bit of news doesn't really do me much good. ::sigh::

No comments: