25 March 2007

John and Elizabeth Edwards on 60 Minutes

I read a post on Daily Kos regarding a recent appearance on 60 Minutes by U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth. Elizabeth Edwards was diagnosed and treated for cancer in 2004; last week they learned the cancer had metastasized--treatable, but not curable.

I liked Elizabeth Edwards' quote taken from their appearance on 60 Minutes:
"You know, you really have two choices here. I mean, either you push forward with the things that you were doing yesterday or you start dying. That seems to be your only two choices. If I had given up everything that my life was about – first of all, I'd let cancer win before it needed to. You know, maybe eventually it will win. But I'd let it win before I needed to.

And I'd just basically start dying. I don't want to do that. I want to live. And I want to do the work that I want next year to look like last year and... and the year after that and the year after that. And the only way to do that is to say I'm going to keep on with my life."


Update: I've just skimmed through various comments posted so far--on 60 Minutes/CBS and Daily Kos--regarding Katie Couric's interview of the Edwardses. The vast majority are very positive towards John and Elizabeth Edwards, but wow! Couric is definitely taking a beating in quite a few of them. You can form your own opinion by checking out the above 60 Minutes link, and some others at This is for you, Katie Couric.

No comments: