15 October 2008

U.S. 3rd Presidential Debate

Tonight was the third and last U.S. Presidential debate between Senators Barack Obama and John McCain, moderated by Bob Shieffer from CBS.

Random thoughts:

  • Much of the camera work was a split screen so you could see both nominees at the same time. While Obama was talking, McCain looked very stiff and only slightly creepy -- but that may partly be due to old injuries.
  • Shieffer did okay, I guess.
  • Obama performed well, again. Very presidential and calm.
  • McCain appears more energetic than in previous debates.
  • Because Obama is leading the race by at least a 6-7 point margin, McCain had to out-perform Obama to win the debate. I don't think that happened. At best it was a tie, and a tie is good for Obama. Besides, if you ignore issues, I think Obama did slightly better than McCain.
  • I was cringing when McCain was spewing about Ayers. Guilt by association -- it reminds me of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.
  • McCain... please don't smile or laugh on television. Grin, chuckle... perfectly fine. And I know it's not your fault, nor do I place any fault. But your smile looks like a rictus. It puts you in a bad light. So please.
  • ACORN? Currently I find it extremely difficult to believe ACORN is fomenting wide-scale voter fraud, given what I've read and given that claims of voter fraud is a typical Republican tactic to disenfranchise voters who mostly vote Democratic. As Obama said, ACORN pays individuals to collect voter registration information. Some individuals are stupid and break the law; that doesn't tar and feather an entire organization. That's like saying because one high-schooler plays hookey all the other students do, too.
  • What scares me is the thought that McCain really believes Palin is qualified to be President of the United States. What scares me is the thought that McCain really believes his own lies. And if so, what does that say about his judgment?
  • And what the $%^&@! is it with this false equivalancy!?! How can McCain calling Obama a terrorist be equivalent to Obama calling McCain erratic? How is McCain calling Obama a traitor equivalent to Obama saying McCain is lying? I really wish people ie. the media, would start calling McCain on it.

4 comments:

Danny said...

I agree with you that McCain should not smile or making gestures. I don't remember him appearing so creepy before in the primaries.

And remember when he tried those one liner jokes at the 2nd debate? Not one laugh or snicker. Not good for him...

As for your other concerns...... Palin is the Gov. of Alaska. Bill Clinton was the Gov. of Arkansas when he became Prez. She's the VP candidate. Big deal. The experience ratio is similar....
ACORN and Ayers I could care less. McCain won't win anyway. What is sad in this country is that so many people will vote for Obama just because he looks good and "comes across" as intelligent.

Danny said...

I can see McCain saying, " The deflector-shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive....".

r32argent said...

Yes, Palin and Clinton are/were both state governors. But personally, when I look at their their public comments, debates, speeches, news etc., I think Clinton was -- or appeared to be, at least -- qualified for POTUS while Palin lacks even the appearance of being qualified.

I normally don't care too much about VP candidates either -- this cycle, however, I can't help but consider McCain's age and his history of recurring cancer.

For some reason "deflector-shield" made me think of Star Trek. :o)

Danny said...

I agree with you about McCain. He wants it to be "his" time, but he's out of touch and the age is a factor. I'm sad that he's the best the Republicans could do....