10 July 2008

Windows Vista Tweaks

I was more or less forced to upgrade to Windows Vista when my previous computer broke down. Overall, after the initial setup headaches (you can read this post for an example of my tribulations), I've been satisfied with it. It's definitely prettier than XP, but in addition to compatibility issues I was disappointed with the speed.

Despite a brand new Intel dual core 1.87 Hz, 2 GB RAM computer, Vista ran slower than I had expected. Were my expectations too optimistic? Obviously. But there you have it. I cursed the fates that led to my old computer's death.

Aside: I lost everything on my hard drive, without any warning whatsoever -- luckily I had a week old back-up on an external drive. If you don't already, back-up your computer!!! It's just like breathing, you never appreciate it as much as when you can't.

My ideal operating system is lean and mean, bloatware free; I don't need the bells and whistles.

Anywhoo, off and on I've been researching various tweaks to make Vista run faster. I found a great site with a multitude of tweaks on appearance, security, performance and other customizations. The How-To Geek has clear, simple instructions that even I can follow.

So as I said, overall I'm satisfied with Windows Vista. Vista runs the programs I need, and does the crucial tasks I want. Does it perform perfectly? No; but neither did XP.

No comments: