29 June 2008

Computer Security -- Avast!

A short while ago my subscription for Trend Microsystem's antivirus software was expiring, and I decided to try something new (and free!). Well, after some research at CNET downloads I decided to try Avast -- a free, no limitation antivirus - antimalware program compatible with Vista.

It's working quite well. The boot up scan takes a while, but I turned that off after the first time. With the normal scan, using the most thorough setting, scanning my computer takes several hours -- overnight, even; but it doesn't take many resources so it can run in the background.

Avast detected 5 trojans (in Outlook) that Trend Microsytems missed completely.

I'd say that so far the only drawback of Avast is that you can't do any scheduled scans. Still, for competent, free, non-limited antivirus software with auto-updating, I'm willing to scan manually.

Hmm... this post was originally supposed to be only on Avast, but what the heck. Since I'm here, a slight alteration of the post title... there we go... and... tadah! Computer Security -- Avast!

Anywhoo, regarding security software I'm of the mind that you can be very good at one thing, but not good at everything eg. Jack-of-all-Trades but Master of None. To that end, I prefer to have a single program for antivirus, antimalware, and firewall, respectively. So in addition to Avast I have Webroot Spysweeper and ZoneAlarm's free firewall.

ZoneAlarm is simply the best firewall program that I've ever used. The software will notify you if any non-approved programs are trying to access the internet, and vice versa.

Webroot Spysweeper... I almost decided to try something else when it was time to renew the subscription. It works well, but while it's updating it's pretty much a big pain to use the computer. It hogs A LOT of system resources. A LOT. Did I say A LOT? Yes indeedy. Webroot Spysweeper uses A LOT of system resources while updating. A LOT. I would appreciate it very very very very greatly if in the future they allowed users to schedule when to update. Pssst, hear that, Webroot?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any security program after Trend Internet Security expired since last March dl

r32argent said...

Can you still update the virus definitions? If not you should renew or buy new software so that you can receive updates.