05 December 2007

Woot

I’d never heard of Woot.com before this morning, but once I read that they had a one-day "until supplies last" sale for the Altec Lansing m604 I headed over there ASAP. The m604 is a speaker dock for Microsoft Zunes and when it was originally released (a year ago?) it was priced at $200. Currently you can buy one for $100.

Today, Woot is selling the Altec Lansing m604 for $39.99 + $5 shipping! Wow! Once I heard that I did some rapid, intense research into whether my Zune 80 will fit the m604 charging dock. Given that this model was released well before the Zune 80, and given what I remembered from skimming some forum threads, the Zune 80 compatibility issue was hazy.

Zune.net says the m604 is compatible with all Zunes, but some posts say that in fact the Zune 80 does not fit. Anywhoo, to cut a multitude of forums and threads short, the answer is ‘yes’ (knock-on-wood), though I won’t be 100% confident until I try it for myself. Still for $44.99 I’m willing to take the minor risk. If all else fails, I can always sell it on e-bay for a small profit. :o)

From what I gather Woot.com sells only a single product per 24 h, at a reduced price and as supplies last, and sells a different product each day. Woot.com doesn’t pre-advertise what product will be on the block or how many units they have. If an item is sold-out, the next product nevertheless won’t be announced / available until midnight.

I might have to start paying attention. :o)

No comments: