22 June 2007

Stargate SG-1

Hard to believe it's been ten years, but tonight was the series finale of SciFi channel's Stargate SG-1. This series is one of my all-time top three science fiction television shows, currently ranking only below Star Trek: TNG and X-Files.

Okay, confession time. I've only seen a handful of SG-1 episodes in the last three to four seasons. I started watching SG-1 because of Richard Dean Anderson (Go, MacGyver!!!) and when he left as a regular in season seven(?) I lost most of my desire to watch. I did make a point of watching the first few episodes without him, when Bridges, Bowder, and Black joined the cast, but for me it just wasn't the same without Anderson's Colonel Jack O'Neill. I tried to catch the episodes where RDA made guest appearances, but it's difficult when I'm no longer paying close attention to the series. The same thing happened with X-Files. Go figure.

I did watch the series finale, Unending. I enjoyed it, despite my disappointment at RDA's absence. I won't spoil it, except to say that I appreciated and was pleased to have them refer to the Fifth Race, first mentioned in the first season. I thought it was a nice touch.

I read that TPTB are making two direct to DVD SG-1 movies, and that Amanda Tapping, who plays Colonel Samantha Carter, will be joining the ongoing SG-1 spinoff, Stargate Atlantis.

Anywhoo, kudos and thanks to the cast, crew, producers and everyone else involved in making such a wonderful, enjoyable series.

No comments: