09 September 2006

2006 U.S. Open Women's Champion

Maria Sharapova defeated Justine Henin-Hardenne, 6-4, 6-4 to win the 2006 U.S. Open--Sharapova's second major title. I particularly enjoyed this year's final because these two are my favourite women players that are currently active--so from my point of view either of them winning was a bonus. :o)

Sharapova looked a little nervous at the start of the first set, but if I recall correctly that was the only time she was broken. Despite some great points and winners, my favourite part of the match was watching Sharapova's reaction after winning match point--she just looked so ecstatic and over-joyed. :o)


One thing that continues to annoy me, however, is how some people insist on screaming endearments/encouragement to their favourite player *in the middle of their serve*. What the heck is up with that?! One particular moment in this match stuck out--some guy screamed his love for Sharapova in the middle of her toss. I know the players are professionals and being used to it they should be able to ignore it... but do the overly enthusiastic fans really want to risk it being that one time when it *does* affect their concentration? Show a little consideration, please.

Update: I just noticed--the above picture looks like Sharapova is missing some teeth, lol. At least, it does on my computer. :o) Anywhoo, click on the picture to see that Sharapova doesn't *really* need a new dentist.

2 comments:

Quasimodo said...

I used to work at the Resort where the Acura Classic Tournament is held and I got to tell you, Sharapova and her dad are nothing but rude and arrogant. I'm a Hingis fan, she has always been down to earth, yes even before her comback.

r32argent said...

I admit I wasn't a huge fan of Hingis before her recent return, but I've been impressed with how Hingis has been able to come-back from her injuries. I was surprised and disappointed that Hingis didn't make it further in the tournament. It's also refreshing to get a break from Sharapova's shrieking. :o)